Re: install problem on solaris

> well, i got a build of 1.2 (thanx to this list) but now the install
> fails. the build bug was that i had to make the dir obj, cd there and
> then run ../configure and make from there. but make install in obj fails
> with these errors. the cd ../thotlib is failing. i think the path

You need to use 1.2a release instead of 1.2.
As I undestand, you first built Amaya with success (make all) and after
you tried to install it and the install failed.
Could you send us error messages.

> handling seems to be very poor in amaya building. why do you need the
> subdir obj? all other builds using a configure work fine at the top
> level. and does anyone check these path problems out on common systems
> like solaris?

Not poor, very complex. We need subdir "obj" to allow us to build different
versions of Amaya (with/without plugins, with/without java support,
with/without MathML, etc.) and Thot applications for different platforms
in the same hierarchy.

> i really want to use amya to hack my html as it seems like a good
> environment for that. it needs (IMHO) to be more stable in building and
> related docs (INSTALL, etc.).
>

> make[1]: Entering directory `/local/src/amaya/Thot/obj/amaya'
> (cd ../thotlib ; make CC="gcc" CFLAGS="-g -O -Wall " libThotEditor)
> /bin/sh: ../thotlib: does not exist
> make[1]: *** [../thotlib/libThotEditor.a] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/src/amaya/Thot/obj/amaya'

True, "../thotlib" must exist. Amaya cannot be built if the thotlib is not
built.
Are you sure, you successfully downloaded Amaya source files and you started
"make all" after "../configure" and before "make install".
Each time we deliver a new release, I experiment that the Amaya building
from source tar file works fine. Something is wrong in your machine.
I can try to help you if you send me more information.