Re: importing files

> has anyone worked out a way to IMPORT text files to amaya.

Just by loading the file. Amaya detects that is a text file.

> - I can't cut and past between X-windows

By default the following keys are attached to CopyToClipboard:
- L6 (Copy key on left side of the Sun keyboards)
- F6

By default the following keys are attached to PasteFromClipboard:
- L8 (Paste key on left side of the Sun keyboards)
- F8

You can change these options by copying the Thot/config/amaya.keyboard file
into $HOME/amaya.keyboard and edit it (see Configuring Amaya in the help menu)

> - Amaya won't let me open a non html file
> - if i put '<html><pre>' at the start of the file i can maintain the
>   formatting, but it is impossible to transform this pre-formatting
>   back to <p> markups.

Did you try to select the PRE by using ESC key and select the entry Transform
in menu Special ?

> given that HTML is a 'markup language' and i have text that i want to
> mark up, there theoretically is a solution.

Amaya is a structured editor and not a text editor. So you cannot edit markups
with but you have to use commands to change element types.