Re: amaya for OS/2

From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@rufus.w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:46:47 -0500
To: "Alexander Mai" <st002279@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
> Hello,
> I'm trying to compile amaya for OS/2 using XFree86 & Lesstif.
> Don't know whether it's desired to receive patches from people "like me"
> but anyway I can't provide final diffs yet. But I can make some suggestions
> which are useful for other ports, too.
> And yes, "check" means add the few lines to configure(.in)
> 1) Check for existence of strcasecmp(). I have only stricmp()

What is stricmp ?

~ -> man stricmp
No manual entry for stricmp
~ ->

If it does the same as you strcasecmp can also patch
thotlib/include/thot_sys.h accordingly of your setup using

#ifdef OS2  /* or whatever ... */
#define strcasecmp(a, b) stricmp((a), (b))

  If we need to check for strcasecmp, that need that we need a fallback
implementation and in that case, it's even easier to duplicate it and not
even check (like for strncasecmp() in amaya/HTMLstyle.c !).

However, I added the check to configure.in

> 2) Who invented this crazy check for Motif by searching files with
>    given names in pre-defined directories ???
>    (hmm, I'm aware that it may sound very offending, but I really can't
>    imagine a reason for this method)
>    Please use the standard method of checking for headers and libs!

   I borrowed it from the configure.in of the Lesstif project !
excerpt from the configure.in ...

dnl Checking for Motif libraries and includes
dnl Borrowed from Lesstif configure.in
dnl Lesstif is a Great Project (TM)

  I agree that Lesstif is crazy, who need a Motif clone ;-)

>    Please use the standard method of checking for headers and libs!

  Which standard method, you need to be more explicit here !!!
Especially if you provide a piece of code others will be able to flame
you because it doesn't work on their platform ;-)

  Don't tell me that there is a standard method of checking for XF86
and Motif on OS/2, Windows or a Machintosh !

> 3) Check for M_PI and M_PI2

  ??? What do you mean ???
> 4) Check for lstat(), on my sys is only stat() available.
>    This obviously a non-un*x problem, but OTOH amaya seems to support other
>    platforms as well, so this may justify this.
>    ALso that's the reason why one uses configure ;-)

  lstat is only used in one place and it's to find where the binary
has actually been installed on UNIX. It's used to be able to follow the

 if (lstat (execname, &stat_buf) == 0) ....

It was protected against #ifndef _WINDOWS, I replace it with
#ifdef HAVE_LSTAT, not a big deal ...

> 5) Why don't you bundle libwww 5.1x instead of an (probably?) older version ?

Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, Java,
Fax : +1 617 258 5999  | Cambridge, MA 02139 USA | badminton, Kaffe,
http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Veillard | HTTP-NG and Amaya.