W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-amaya@w3.org > January to March 1998

Modifying Amaya to behave as a Web browser only

From: SULTAN Hassan - lab assistant <sultan@eig6.unige.ch>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 12:25:07 +0100 (MET)
Message-Id: <199801271125.MAA20756@ldiua.unige.ch>
To: www-amaya@w3.org
I successfully changed the following things in Amaya so that it behaves more as a common browser:

Changing double-click to simple-click:
Go to HTML.A and change:
ElemActivate.Pre -> DoubleClick   to   ElemSelectPre -> DoubleClick.

Pages in Read-Only mode:
In html2thot.c near line 7580, there's the following commented line:
/*  TtaSetDocumentAccessMode(theDocument, 0); */
Uncommenting this line is sufficient to make all the pages Read-Only

Menus:
In EDITOR.A, Delete or Add all you want, and edit the file
config/en-amayadialogue to update the menus names.
the format is the following: First the main menus names from left to right, then
the submenus names from top to bottom.

Buttons:
In init.c, in InitViewDoc:
Just remove the buttons you don't want, the Math button is some lines after the main buttons, in an #ifdef condition.

All the HTML debug output:
In html2thot.c, just disable all the "*printf()" lines
WARNING: sometimes you need to change a bit the code, because the "*printf()" line is the only line in a IF condition.

There's output too from Thot/thotlib/base/thotmsg.c, in the first function.
Same thing to do, disable the "*printf()".
NOTE: I didn't tried to change this file yet but it prints the same message I see in the output so it's surely this one :)

NOTE 2: I haven't yet tried to remove the editor code, although I plan to do it in the next few weeks, but I'm a little bit afraid of cross references between the browser part and the editor part of Amaya, so any information on the imbrications of these two parts would be nice.

NOTE 3: I plan too to make a modified version of Amaya (with all the #ifdef needed to have a proper source) but this will need more time.

NOTE 4: We have added too for internal use, a little modification to the GetObjectWWW function in query.c so that access is restricted only to servers specified in a file. So if someone is interested in it, just mail me and I'll send you the code(almost 30 lines), I didn't include it here, since it's unuseful for the majority.

NOTE 5: I still have some problems to resolve:
1) It is still possible to write in the TITLE field.
2) The search function in the menus can still modify the text, even with 
TtaSetDocumentAccessMode(Doc,0).
3)When in Read-Only, the default text color is Green and I didn't find where to
change it.
4)Any info on cross references between the editor part and the browser part of Amaya would be nice.

5)(optional) Showing in the bottom of the window the target of the link under the mouse pointer would be nice but I really don't have a clue how to do it...

Best regards

Hassan Sultan
Ecole d'Ingénieurs de Genève
Switzerland
Received on Tuesday, 27 January 1998 06:25:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:53:18 UTC