Re: building Amaya under Solaris 2.6

> Hi
>
> I've tried to build Amaya a couple of times.
>
> The first time was by extracting ??? and ???, creating the objects subdirectory,
> running ../configure --prefix=/opt/thot, then make all. I eventually got the
> following:
>
> ====> printstr is done
> STR=`pwd`/../bin/str;PRS=`pwd`/../bin/prs;TRA=`pwd`/../bin/tra;\
> cd ../../amaya; THOTDIR=`pwd`/.. ;export THOTDIR; \
> $STR -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  HTML ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  HTMLP ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  -DPAGE HTMLP HTMLPP ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  -DUS_PAPER HTMLP HTMLPPUS ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  -DLINK_NUMBER -DPAGE HTMLP HTMLPLP ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  -DLINK_NUMBER -DUS_PAPER HTMLP HTMLPLPUS ;\
> $PRS -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  -DBLACK_WHITE HTMLP HTMLPBW ;\
> $TRA -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  HTMLT ;\
> $TRA -DCOUGAR    -DMATHML  HTMLTT
> sh: cpp: not found

It seems that cpp preprocessor is not in the PATH.
You can use the following shell script in conjuction with gcc, name it cpp,
put it in the PATH
with 755 Unix rights:
#!/bin/sh
  exec `gcc --print-prog-name=cpp` $*

> The second time I extracted the ??? only, went through the same precedure the
> build the Makefiles and got the following:
> ar: could not allocate memory.
> make: *** [libThotEditor.a] Error 1
> *** Error code 2
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

The ar step needs large set of memory. You certainly need to increase the swap
on your box.
Try the command "swap -s" to check that.
It's possible to extend the swap by creating a large file (see the command
"mkfile") and
adding that file as available swap space. I have added this kind of swap space
(file /tahiti/swapon) on my solaris box.
In file "/etc/vfstab" I have:
/tahiti/swapon  -       -       swap    -       no      -

Hope this helps