Re: install problem on solaris

> where can i get 1.2a? i tried to go to www.w3.org and the amaya dirs are
> offlimits or something. i get a page which says i can't go there. i got
> the source a few weeks ago there so what has happened? is there another
> public site for amaya?

The connection to W3C site was corrupted yesterday for everybody.
I think all is ok now and you can download the 1.2a Amaya version now.

>   IV> Not poor, very complex. We need subdir "obj" to allow us to build
>   IV> different versions of Amaya (with/without plugins, with/without
>   IV> java support, with/without MathML, etc.) and Thot applications for
>   IV> different platforms in the same hierarchy.
>
> i understand variant building, but it could be done at the top level and
> the Makefile could make the needed subdirs. that is my objection, having
> to make the correct subdir and not having it documented. you yourself
> said it should be added to the docs. i say it should be automated.

Options and Makefiles are generated according to the current target
architecture and current configure options. We need different subdirs to
store these files and to collect *.o, libraries and binaries.
I guess it's a good idea to collect all these generated files in the
same hierarchie.
We decided also to let user defines the target name he wants because it
is difficult to automatically generate a name aoccrding to the platform
and the cofigure options.
Asking the user to create subdir "obj" solves many problems and doesn't
complicate too much his life.
If sources are well downloaded and installed, all the rest is automatic.

>   IV> True, "../thotlib" must exist. Amaya cannot be built if the
>   IV> thotlib is not built.  Are you sure, you successfully downloaded
>   IV> Amaya source files and you started "make all" after "../configure"
>   IV> and before "make install".  Each time we deliver a new release, I
>   IV> experiment that the Amaya building from source tar file works
>   IV> fine. Something is wrong in your machine.  I can try to help you
>   IV> if you send me more information.
>
> thotlib was built. but the makefile did a cd too deep and ../thotlib was
> above that by one level. i hacked a symlink to make ../thotlib appear in
> the right dir and some more installation occured. but the binaries
> (amaya and some support utils) never got installed.

I don't agree with you. If you need to create a link there was something
wrong in the previous step.

> what more info can i send?
>
> do i need to install any other binaries but amaya? most of the others
> (str, tra, etc) seem to be for building amaya and not running it.

Yes, you're right. The current install supposes that you want to extend
the Amaya application. It's why libraries, str, tra, app, prs are also
installed. We should define a mini-install. Only amaya and print are
necessary in many cases.

> also i have found very few man pages or docs in the distribution. i also
> saw those on the w3 site but i can't get to them (same as above).

The site should be accesible now, but I agree documentation is too poor.

> merci, (the result of 3 years of high school french, over 25 years ago!)

Amities