Re: Amaya W95/1.1a problem: <FONT SIZE=?>

From: Fieldhouse Dirk <Fieldhouse@logica.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:44:00 +0100
To: www-amaya@w3.org
On 14 October 1997 17:46, Vincent QUINT wrote:

> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
>
> > Under Win 95, Amaya 1.1a doesn't seem to handle this tag right.
SIZE=n seems to
> > be interpreted as font_size := n rather than font_size :=
n*font_size.

> I think that Amaya is right. Refer to the HTML 3.2 specs:

Well, I had the wrong idea about FONT SIZE. But apparently Amaya is more
wrong, as I discuss below.

>    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#font
>
> | You can set size to an integer ranging from 1 to 7 for an
> | absolute font size, or specify a relative font size with a
> | signed integer value, e.g. size="+1" or size="-2". This is
> | mapped to an absolute font size by adding the current base font
> | size as set by the BASEFONT element.

Personally I find the text there on FONT and BASEFONT somewhat unclear,
despite the examples. Perhaps this can be improved in 4.0 if these tags
survive.

Obviously this 'absolute font size' is not meant to be a font point
size, or it would have a range of 1-70  (say). So the issue is, how do
you compute the point size n of SIZE=m text? Presumably, you take the
point size N of Normal text and relate it to the BASEFONT value b, if
specified (default b=3 is hinted in the HTML3.2 ref):

	 n :=  f( N, m, b)

eg,
	n := N*m/b

or, for some k ~ 1/b,

	n := N*(1+k*(m-b) )

What I see in Amaya 1.1a is n := m. This is different from other
browsers I use and makes HTML containing <FONT SIZE=m> with m=1,2
unreadable (and you may say, this is what they deserve for using a
stupid tag that breaks the HTML concept of tagging by intent rather than
presentation, and I would have agreed, except that the thing has been so
widely adopted).

Doesn't this work sensibly in the Unix versions?

/df

Please copy me by email as I am unable to follow the list.
 --
Dirk Fieldhouse                 Logica UK Limited
fieldhouse@logica.com           75 Hampstead Road