Re: Attempt to add Amaya to the FreeBSD ports system

Greetings Philipp Ost, and thank you for your reply.
On Fri, January 7, 2011 10:34 am, Philipp Ost wrote:
> Amaya user wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I notice that the CVS and source have a notion of installing
>> Amaya support libs from the Amaya source tree. BSD already
>> has the libs distributed with the Amaya source. Is there any reason/ why
>> I can't get Amaya source that doesn't depend on the libs
>> /within/ the Amaya source? The versions that already exist on
>> reasonably recent versions of BSD, are new enough to meet (or exceed) the
>> dependency requirements of Amaya.
>
> The first problem is to get Amaya to build and run cleanly.
> I tackled the exact same project some time ago; I did some small steps,
> but haven't been working on it lately due to lack of time.

It only get's worse for me, as I'm working on an 64bit system (AMD64). :)

>> Secondly, the build process within the BSD ports tree has a notion
>> of ${PREFIX}, which is a macro that generally expands to /usr/local
>> Does the same hold true for Amaya?
>>

> This should not be a problem.
Indeed. Further reading indicates this is the same for Amaya, as well.

Seems that last version available within the BSD ports tree, was 9.55_3
back in 7.2. It was removed due to security issues, compounded by lack
of maintenance by the port author. :(

On the upside, I'll have the previous port authors work to build on.
I'd really appreciate any input others might have that have successfully
built Amaya on a *BSD system.

Thank you again Philipp Ost, for your thoughtful reply.

--Chris