Re: Compiling Amaya on Windows (AmayaWX version)

At 16:36 06/09/25, Irene Vatton wrote:
>On Sunday 24 September 2006 03:03, Martin Duerst wrote:
>> Dear Amaya Team,
>>
>> I just noted some discrepancies and problems when trying to
>> compile Amaya (WX version) on Windows:
>>
>> - http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/Win-Compiling.html mentions
>>   davlib\davlib.dsp, but the full distribution
>>   (amaya-fullsrc-9.51.tgz) doesn't contain it.
>
>This problem is fixed in the last snapshot:
>  http://wam.inrialpes.fr/software/amaya/amaya-fullsrc-9.52.tgz

Thanks, great.

>Win-Compiling.html is now updated.

One more little detail: everything is alphabetically ordered,
which makes checking easy, except for str\str.dsp, which should
be moved up two places.

>> - When compiling WxWidgets, there are over 3000 warnings,
>>   most if not all of the form
>>   wxbase26d.lib(**filename**.obj) : warning LNK4006: _**SomeFunction**
>>      was already defined ..., further occurences ignored
>>   This message is not in literal form, as I'm back-translating from
>>   the Japanese version. If there is some possibility to change
>>   this to avoid these messages, that would be appreciated.
>>   With warnings, it's never clear whether they are a problem or not.
>
>This library is not under our control.
>The new snapshot comes with a new WxWidgets version, but
>not sure these problems are fixed.

With the new snapshot, I didn't see these anymore, so it seems
this is fixed.

>> When working on compiling Amaya:
>> - For several .dsp files, MS C++ 6.0 says something like
>>   "This makefile hasn't been made with Developer Studio,..."
>>   The files affected were app.dsp, cpp.dsp, prs.dsp, str.dsp,
>>   tra.dsp, and zlib.dsp. These were all saved as e.g. app1.dsp,
>>   and so on.

This problem is still there. Saving the files as app1.dsp, and
so on, seems to work.

>> - For a lot of files, there are error messages like:
>>   AmayaAddPointEvtHandler.cpp
>>   ..\..\..\wxWidgets\include\wx/platform.h(216) : fatal error C1083:
>>   Can't open include file 'wx/setup.h': No such file or directory
>> Compilation stops after 80 such errors.
>
>Yes Amaya cannot compile without 'wx/setup.h'
>It should work with the snapshot.

It does. Thanks!

I have been progressing quite a bit, but some problems remain.
First, there are several warnings, which in good Amaya tradition
it would be great to eliminate:
(again, all of the text translated back from Japanese)

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\dialogue\AmayaWindow.cpp(62) : warning C4273: 'wxEVT_AMAYA_ACTION_EVENT' : Contradiction in DLL linkeage. Assuming this is exported by the DLL.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\view\changeabsbox.c(3249) : warning C4101: 'pMainAb' : Local variable not used at all.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\image\picture.c(503) : warning C4305: '=' : Conversion from 'const double' to 'float' reduced precision.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\image\picture.c(505) : warning C4305: '=' : Conversion from 'const double' to 'float' reduced precision.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\base\wxAmayaSocketEvent.cpp(155) : warning C4018: '==' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\base\wxAmayaSocketEvent.cpp(158) : warning C4018: '==' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

D:\Amaya-compile\Amaya\thotlib\base\wxAmayaSocketEvent.cpp(161) : warning C4018: '==' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

d:\amaya-compile\libwww\library\src\htansi.c(215) : warning C4018: '!=' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

d:\amaya-compile\libwww\library\src\htcache.c(2090) : warning C4018: '!=' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

d:\amaya-compile\libwww\library\src\htevtlst.c(780) : warning C4018: '<=' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

d:\amaya-compile\libwww\library\src\htdemux.c(88) : warning C4761: Formal parameter and actual argument base types differ. Adjusting the actual argument to the parameter type.

d:\amaya-compile\libwww\library\src\htfwrite.c(56) : warning C4018: '!=' : Trying to compare signed and unsigned value.

The next problem is the following:
A long list of errors was related to the fact that a bunch of files
(actually the whole folder) were missing in the idn module of libwww
(libwww/modules/idn). These files all are from idnkit
(http://www.nic.ad.jp/ja/idn/idnkit/download/). I only knew because
it was me who added IDN (Internationalized Domain Name) support to
Amaya a few years ago. Apparently, the Windows makefiles still keep
that information (great!), but the actual files got lost. It would
be great if this functionality could be fully integrated into Amaya;
if you need some help, please tell me.

The next problem I got into was when compiling libwww/modules/idn/util.c,
the compiler reported a lot of errors in various .h files (starting
with winnt.h) that were part of the compiler's installation
(among them a fatal error that it can't handle a certain level
of union nesting). I got around this by #undef WIN32 at the start
of libwww/modules/idn/util.c. I don not remember such problems
the last time I used idnkit some years ago.

After that, there were a few more warnings:
d:\amaya-compile\amaya\thotlib\view\changeabsbox.c(3249) : warning C4101: local variable 'pMainAb' never used
d:\amaya-compile\amaya\thotlib\dialogue\fontconfig.c(403) : warning C4101: local variable 'fname1' never used
d:\amaya-compile\amaya\thotlib\dialogue\fontconfig.c(404) : warning C4101: local variable 'word1' never used

And then one fatal error:
d:\amaya-compile\wxwidgets\src\jpeg\jpeglib.h(24) : fatal error C1083: cannot open include file '../src/jpeg/jconfig.h': No such file or directory
(this is when compiling jpeghandler.c in printlib)

I found two versions of jconfig.h, namely Amaya/libjpeg/jconfig.h
and wxWidgets/src/jpeg/jconfig.h. The two differ somewhat. Which
one is the right one? I assume I have to fix an include path setting
to get rid of the error.

Any help appreciated.       With kind regards,    Martin.