Re: Keyboard shortcuts

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:25:17 -0500 (EST)
Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> keyboard shortcuts are a really cool feature of Amaya - one of the
> accessibility features it implements fairly well. (I know, there are
> missing ones from time to time or conflicts - this is an open source
> project, and this is an area that I would have thought the user
> community could take a more active role, myself included).
>
> In using the spanish and french versions I have realised and been told
> by other users that there are problems and potential problems with some
> shortcuts, because the keyboard mappings are different. For example on
> a french AZERTY keyboard the "-" and "6" are on the same key, so using
> them for zoom and h6 can create a conflict.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has a quick solution for modifying this, so
> that it is possible to launch a different shortcuts file according to
> the keyboard mapping - this should be dynamically variable and take its
> default from the X11 keyboard map or whatever the windows equivalent
> is, but even having a configuration option would be a good start.

Amaya lets you customize your keyboard mapping.
You just have to define a file amaya.keyboard (Unix) or amaya.kb (Windows)
in your AmayaHome directory.
If people provide other examples of these configuration files, we will include
them in our distribution.

> I presume that doing this would be a good opportunity to look at
> different mappings for different profiles. In particular the idea of
> having keys available in browser mode and different keys in editor mode
> (similar to the way that vi works) has been discussed in the past. If
> it is easy to change keymapping profiles this seems like a good
> possibility.

Personally I don't appreciate that behavior in vi. It's often source of errors.

> I think this is also related to the ability to provide Amaya in
> different default languages, although there might be no overlap in the
> implementation.
>
> Last important feature is to make sure that people know whether they
> are going to lose their profile between upgrades (I think not but
> haven't checked), and that they can take new mappings - for example for
> new functionalities that didn't have them before.

Normally you should not lose these files between upgrades except if Installshield
does an extra job.

> So pointers to where in the code these things are effected would be
> appreciated. If I make progress myself I will send comments, of course.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals
>
> --
> Charles McCathieNevile           charles@sidar.org