Re: Source tarballs

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Irene Vatton wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 11:00:49 -0500 (EST)
>Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I am still working on getting a real process together to compile Amaya as
>> fink packages for OS X.
>>
>> One of the issues I am facing is regularly downloading a large package via
>> telephone. This coud be alleviated by using CVS, but it seems that it might
>> be helpful to have source tarballs that are more modular. For example libjpeg
>> and libpng are not required anymore by default, and it would be good to have
>> a source tarball available that didn't include them. I presume this requires
>> a change to the packaging files.
>
>It's probably useful in your case but confusing for other people.
>Why don't use cvs in your case?

It is the case of people compiling for the Mac, using fink (similar to debian
packaging). It would be nice if the packaging mechanisms supported using CVS,
but as far as I can tell they don't at this stage.

What would be ideal is to have several tarballs generated - one for people
who want the full source, and others that are designed around the idea of
modularising the source (it seems unnecessary for people to download
unchanged versions of lib* every time they want to compile a release
version, and especially libpng/libjpeg which aren't used).

Cheers

Chaals