Re: Tree widget for Table of Contents view?

From: Marc Rubin, Jay's Island Software Development & Consulting <amayalist@mail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 02:00:17 -0500 (EST)
To: www-amaya-dev@w3.org
Cc: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr
Charles -

My main question is whether a collapsible outline view is feasible for
Amaya. In response to your comments:

>If you could edit this view in the same way
>as the structure view (and it moved the content
>that was not shown as well) that would be even better

A tree widget would be the most intuitive tool for the user to view and
modify the hierarchy of headings. Although working to be free from Microsoft
products, the best example I can give is MS Word's Outline View.

>If you could select n so that only
>H1..H(n) were shown, that would be a bonus.

I sometimes use Word's support for this, via buttons labelled 1 through 9;
but I find that it's -much- more important to have separate control of each
branch.

>It would sound more in keeping with Amaya
>to have the table of contents render
>as the structure view does, with H(n) elements
>being treated as children of  previous H(n-1) elements.

I like the parent/child relationships as currently displayed in Table of
Contents view. If you believe that a different scheme would be better, would
you please give an example?

Thanks,
Marc