Re: transparent background gifs

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:56:45 -0400 (EDT)
To: John Russell <VE3LL@RAC.CA>
cc: www-amaya-dev@w3.org
I don't know yet. But somebody recently posted a patch for PNGs - did that
get incorporated?

Charles McCN

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, John Russell wrote:

  Have any others noticed that transparent backgrounds for gifs
  is not working --- at least this is true in the windows 95 world.

  As a test go to my webpage as noted below and select the
  hyperlink to 'test area' in my navbar at top of page.....
  when working correctly this should display a white background
  which explorer and netscape does [ netscape requires javascript
           to be turned on for css to work --- very strange] but
  Amaya displays gray [or is that grey :-) ] background which was the
  original color made transparent.
  A further test can remove the css factor --- just modify the url to test1.htm
  and the gif is a simple background ... in netscape and ie you will see
  your default color with border   but in amaya it is gray ----
  could others test and give me feedback to see if this is a platform
  problem or a universal problem
  originally i had thought it was a problem in interpreting a css statement
  but i am now leaning to a 'transparant gif' rendoring or in this case
   non-rendoring.   If we can isolate the bug then a code wizard can hack!

  john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA

  homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel