The Next WAVe(sm): Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

                               _The Next WAVe(sm):_
       Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

    I am pleased to announce the formal establishment of _The Next
WAVe(sm)_, a new clearinghouse devoted to Auditory Browsing in Web
and non-Web databases. The URL for _The Next WAVe(sm)_ is:

       http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm

   I believe that the projects, research, products and services profiled in
_The Next WAVe(sm)_ will be of interest to librarians and computer
scientists alike who seek to enhance access to Web information sources
as well as information found in conventional database systems.

     For those who have limited knowledge about Auditory Displays, I
strongly recommend reading any and all of the excellent papers from the
first international conference on auditory display organized by the
International Community for Auditory Display (ICAD).

   Gregory Kramer (editor), AUDITORY DISPLAY: SONIFICATION,
AUDIFICATION AND AUDITORY INTERFACES Addison-Wesley Publishing
Company, Inc., Reading, Massachusetts, 1994. ISBN 0-201-62603-9

    This volume is a seminal work in the field. [I strongly recommend that
every research library obtain a copy for their collections.]

     I also strongly suggest a visit to the ICAD homepage at
                          http://www.santafe.edu/~icad/

     I believe that both the able and disabled will find the efforts profiled in
_The Next WAVe(sm)_ to an important resource of value for facilitating
access to Web resources.

      I am greatly interested in developing this clearinghouse further and
would greatly appreciate learning of other research, projects, products,
and services in the following areas:

	Auditory exploration of data via sonification
		Audification (audible playback of data samples)
                       Real Time monitoring of multivariate data
                       Sound in Immersive Interfaces (Virtual
                                 Environments)
                       Perceptual issues in Auditory Display
                       Sound in generalized computer interfaces
                       Technologies supporting Auditory Display creation
                       Data handling for Auditory
                       Display systems Applications of Auditory Display

        I am particularly interested in projects in Assistive Technology as
well as auditory or multimodal access in computer interface and  the use
of sound is data mining and Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD)
[For information about DM and KDD, see my Four-T-Nine-R(sm) project at:
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/4T9R.htm]

    _The Next WAVe(sm)_ is the second in a series of three planned
clearinghouses devoted to Sensory Information Navigation (SIN) [:->].
_The Next WAVe(sm)_ complements _The Big Picture_, my
clearinghouse devoted to Information Visualization available at

      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

    As always, Any and All suggestions, comments, critiques, queries,
questions and/or contributions are most welcome.

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
and
Science and Technology Librarian
 Iowa State University Library
152 Parks
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu
 [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/]

"The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
Attributed to Peter Drucker