Re: Managed states related to aria states (was "Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Agenda Tue Feb 24 2015").

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
wrote:

> On 2015-03-16 5:23 PM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
>
>> So, unmanaged is something that ARIA widget author should take care,
>> managed is something that the browser takes care of. Is that correct?
>>

> Close.  Two things:  (1) In this context, there are no "unmanaged" states,
> despite what the glossary entry says.   (2) The issue is not limited to
> ARIA.
>
> The distinction has to do with who or what is controlling the states.  One
> case is where the author manages the states, for example, setting the
> @selected attribute on <option> elements within a <select> using script.
> The other case is where those states are managed by the user agent.  In
> either case, the relevant AAPI states are the same, regardless of what is
> managing them.  With respect to selection, that would be
> MSAA/IA2:STATE_SYSTEM_SELECTED, UIA:IsSelected, ATK:STATE_SELECTED, and
> AXAPI:AXSelected.

I thought the whole point of splitting states into these two categories was
that the states defined by ARIA are already mapped and you need to complete
the a11y mapping by describing what states comes from the browser.

>  How does this part conform to HTML a11y mapping guide? I assume you don't
>> want to list unmanaged states for, say, HTML select, no?
>>

> I don't understand the relevance of the HTML a11y mapping spec here.  What
> section(s) of that spec bear on conformance with respect to this issue?
> The task David took on was to create a list of AAPI states that are managed
> by the user agent.

HTML is mostly unique thing where the browser maintained states comes from.
If you don't want describe things in HTML terms then you need to have sort
of universal neutral language. Not sure how to approach to it.