Re: [aapi] use cases for description and label reverse relations?

Hey Cynthia.

On 12/18/2015 05:42 PM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:

> IA2 and ATK/AT-SPI have reverse relations for descriptions and labels,
> where UIA and AXAPI do not. What are the use cases for label_for and
> description_for? Owns and Controls make sense, but I’m having a hard
> time thinking of a reason I’d need to go from the label or description
> to its owner.

As you know, the "by" relation types are most commonly needed for focus
tracking: The user gives focus to a widget and the screen reader should
present the label and possibly the description of the newly-focused widget.

In my experience, the "for" relation types are most commonly needed for
everything else (e.g. browse mode, Say All, and presentation of static
text in dialogs). In these instances, you're building up the contents to
present to the user from the accessibility tree, and you do not want to
double-present content. If something claims to be a label or description
for something, you can immediately toss it out -- often without further
consideration -- because you'll present its contents as part of the
widget it labels or describes. If all we had were the "by" relation
types, you'd have to use them to figure out what to toss out and then go
back looking for those things to remove before presenting the contents
to the user. That's doable, but IMHO less desirable.

--joanie