Re: Summarizing the contentious history of re-opened PFWG-ISSUE-348: Consider renaming (now actually 'deprecating' in ARIA 1.1) role="presentation" to avoid avoid author confusion

On 02/01/2014 01:11 PM, James Craig wrote:

> I’m not sure I understand the confusion around why role="none" or
> role="null" would indicate that their is “no role” for the node.
> Perhaps you can help me understand the confusion? That’s effectively
> what role="presentation" means, but it’s just poorly named.

TL;DR: I took your example *way* too literally it seems. (Sorry about that!)

Longer version: When you said

     The following marking:
     <h4 role="presentation">Foo</h4>

     is effectively the same as:

My question was, "So what will the new role be?" because

in ATK implementations results in an accessible tree of:

-> ATK_ROLE_DOCUMENT_{FRAME,WEB}
   -> ATK_ROLE_SECTION (accessible text: "Foo")

And a quick check with Safari and the Accessibility Inspector suggests
something similar, namely:

-> AXWebArea
   -> AXGroup
      -> AXStaticText (AXValue = "Foo")

I did not realize that the intent was/is to promote the child contents,
including any text present. i.e.

     The following marking:
     <h4 role="presentation">Foo</h4>

     is effectively the same as:
     Foo

Again, apologies for my too-literal interpretation.
--joanie