Re: Minutes: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Tue 25 Mar 2014

Jason, Joanie, Cynthia,

Jason wrote:
> Please share any outcomes from your discussion around the UI of the
> show/hide columns, esp. the hide/show icons. I've never been
> comfortable with them, as it's not clear to me if they should
> represent the state of the button or its action. Do you think they
> should be reversed so that when the column is shown, the button has
> the green checkmark to represent the state of the column's visibility,
> as opposed to representing what pressing the button will do?
> Appreciate any advice.
>
> Also, I like the addition of @aria-pressed!

I've pushed a new version of the UAIG to github, mostly as part of the
process of moving over to ReSpec.  But, in the process, I modified the
behaviour/look of the show/hide.  You can see them here (after clicking
the "View as a single table" button):
http://rawgithub.com/w3c/aria/master/implementation/aria-implementation.html#mapping_role_table

FWIW, here's my rationale:  when the table is first displayed, all of
the columns are shown, and the row of show/hide column buttons are in
the "up" position (aria-pressed="false").  The tooltip reflects what
will happen if the button is activated -- at this point, it's "Hide
column".  Pressing a button is thus a command to hide the corresponding
column.  After it is pressed, the corresponding column vanishes, and the
button appears in the "down" pressed-in position.  The tooltip is
switched to indicate what happens if the button is pressed again --
"Show column".

In terms of styling changes, I removed the green check mark and red "X",
and went with a "pressed-in/popped-up" look by toggling the border style
of the button from inset to outset.

Next:  I'll ask one of my designer co-workers for their opinion.

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -