Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 01:50:59 -0700
Cc: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Marco Zehe <marco.zehe@googlemail.com>, James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>, "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
On Sep 6, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> From a discussion ensuing after I filed a bug against Firefox [1], it
> appears that the alertdialog role is not differentiated from
> role=dialog  by AT, and not interoperably implemented in a meaningful
> sense. If this is the case I would suggest it be removed from ARIA as
> it does not appear to be useful.

Sorry I missed this last week. This should be sent in to the PFWG public comments alias, or at least discussed on the PF list, no? (Copying PFWG)

I don't think deprecation is what you want here since ARIA is still pre-1.0. We can mark a feature as at-risk for CR if we think there is a portion that is not well supported, but I'd just call this a browser bug rather than a reason to remove it.

Besides, even if their isn't a functional difference in the 1.0 implementations, that's okay because their is still a semantic difference. By the logic above, wouldn't you also want to deprecate <p> because there is no functional implementation difference from <div>?

James