From: Joshue O Connor [mailto:joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie]
Sent: Freitag, 7. September 2012 11:16
To: Schnabel, Stefan
Cc: Steve Faulkner; W3C WAI-XTECH; Richard Schwerdtfeger; Marco Zehe; James Teh
Subject: Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

Hi Stefan,

> It is not the fault of the ARIA spec that alertdialog is poorly supported in AT.

I completely agree but devs need practical solutions right now.. not
around the corner and to my mind anything that makes the practical
accessible web development easier - is a good thing.

> Role "alertdialog" has been invented to indicate simple ok/yes/no/cancel messageboxes in contrast to more
> elaborated complex dialogs with role "dialog".
>
> Therefore, I recommend *NOT* to remove the role entirely, in contrary, it should even be extended to reflect the
> *type* of "alert" dialog Error/Warning/Info etc. and its usage according to this should be reflected in the AP Guidelines documentation.

Not a bad idea. However, I suggest removing it and actually using the
role="dialog" as a generic role and allowing it to take the argument
dialog Error/Warning/Info etc.

Cheers

Josh