Re: [Filter Effects][css3-transforms] Using MathML for formulas

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 12:11:21 +1000
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, dpvc@union.edu, dschulze@adobe.com, vhardy@adobe.com, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli:
> there is a CSS profile for MathML. And now that screen readers reads
> generated content, could it not be an idea to generate some of the
> explanatory texts that would/could be needed? In other words: How about
> extending the MathML CSS profile?

My feeling is that the MathML CSS profile is an interesting hack but
doesn't work for all math.  However, even if it were a good long term
solution, I am not sure how you could supply a reading for the generated
content (you couldn't "generate" an aria-* attribute) or even whether
the in-tree order of the generated and actual content is the appropriate
reading order.