Re: Comment on ARIA 1.0: Problematic conformance requirement for aria-hidden

Hi Sailesh,

you wrote:

"Situation 3: Visible (i.e. not hidden from view) but not exposed to AT
> So aria-hidden can be used only for situation 1?"

that appears to be the only use case not covered by native HTML5/CSS
features.

You wrote:

"2. ARIA is considered as a bridging technology to fill in for gaps or
> weaknesses of HTML 4 , JS etc.
> Now HTML 5 is being designed, inter alia,  to fix these weaknesses, right?
> So if one uses HTML 5 (after browsers and AT support it fully as
> intended by HTML5), there will be no need to use ARIA with HTML5?"

Not all ARIA features are provided in HTML5
this article i wrote back in 2010 covers the topic.
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/04/html5-and-the-myth-of-wai-aria-redundance/

Also this slide
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cbmudyX4qs5cbXIULKYrsGNUhgV29Iy1T7GqgpKT92I/present#slide=id.g33f45d8_0_54and
this
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cbmudyX4qs5cbXIULKYrsGNUhgV29Iy1T7GqgpKT92I/present#slide=id.g33f45d8_0_65
from a recent presentation illustrates the issue that even when native
features have been available in HTML for more than a decade, they are not
used in some cases  and ARIA is required to make the UI intelligible

<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cbmudyX4qs5cbXIULKYrsGNUhgV29Iy1T7GqgpKT92I/present#slide=id.gb253674_0_10>
regards
Stevef

--