Re: aria-describedat

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger
> <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> This is an unofficial draft of aria-describedat that Steve and I are working
>> on for ARIA 1.1. Mike, thanks for putting setting us up with a work page.
>>
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/aria-unofficial/raw-file/tip/describedat.html
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Some feedback.
>
> - One of the problems with longdesc has been that its data type is not
> obvious. The name should reflect the fact that it is a URL. e.g.
> "aria-descriptionurl" or "aria-describeaturl" would be better.
> "aria-descriptionurl" has the advantage of being a little harder to
> confuse with "aria-describedby". It surprises me that after all the
> problems with the naming of "longdesc" people are proposing adding a
> similarly ambiguous name.

Interesting point. How would descriptionhref or descriptionref work?

> - What's the rationale for adding yet more attributes with the "aria-" prefix?

It's part of the aria set of technologies and developed as part of
these technologies in WAI, so logically added with the same custom
prefix as the other aria technologies. I think that's fair enough.

We could, instead, propose it as a HTML attribute, drop the "aria-"
part and make sure it gets into HTML5 and developed by the HTML WG. Is
that what you're suggesting?

Silvia.