RE: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Since a lot of the content in existance for @longdesc is
> non-conformant anyway, I don't understand that argument.

I personally will not get dragged down that rat-hole. Suffice to say I
disagree with the assessment you seem to be believing in, and outright
reject that premise of the Hixie/Pilgrim "Longdesc Lottery" slander.
Without public data & proof it holds little credence for me.

Irrespective of those assertions, the amount of legacy content from a decade
ago that is non-conformant is a non-factor - we have valid examples of more
current content that is properly authored and current on the web today.  We
also have legacy user-agent support, and legacy authoring tool support,
which allows authors to create conformant @longdesc today. See:
http://john.foliot.ca/wysiwyg_longdesc/ (May, 2011)

FUD has no place in this discussion.

> The development that I'm suggesting does not necessarily imply tossing
> out @longdesc, so I don't understand that argument either.

<snip>

> Learning from existing @longdesc experience is certainly good.

We are not far apart then.