Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

Leif Halvard Silli writes:
> Janina Sajka, Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:38:53 -0400:
>
> > You should also remember that working groups cannot introduce new
> > features into their specifications during the Candidate
> > Recommendation stage of the w3C process. CR is for demonstrating that
> > the spec can be implemented, and for clarifying documentation.
>
> I'm not expert on these rules - and one seems one make new last calls
> all the time, with new features in between the calls. But I get the
> point.

Yes. A "Last Call" is a very important step that must be successfully
completed BEFORE a specification can enter Candidate Recommendation
status.

One can have more than one "last Call." But, one will eventually need to
stop adding features, stop asking for "Last Call" review comments, and
go to CR status where one cleans up the documentation and proves that
the specification can be implemented successfully. Only after doing
this, in this order, can a spec move to the final two steps, the last of
which is Technical Recommendation of the W3C -- i.e. it's final form.

At that point it's OK to start the process over again for new features,
changed features, etc.

This is how HTML moved from 2, to 3, to 4, and now to 5.

> > You'll recall that ARIA 1.0 is currently in CR:
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0121.html
>
> Yes. I know. I learned this anew when I, yesterday, filed my bug
> regarding 'description links' inside role=img elements. Which, I, btw,
> tried to formulate in such a way that it did not introduce add too much
> 'feature'.
>
> [But I have not had any confirmation as to whether the form worked, so
> that you successfully received my comment.]
> --
I don't access that database directly. I will follow up for you, but it
will take until next week.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200