Re: Drop longdesc, get aria-describedat?

Hi John,

>I think you are mistaken here (and FWIW I checked this with Rich).

I am checking with rich will get back to you on his reply,

example of brokenness: IE's implementation breaks when an accessible
description on an image is provided using aria-describedby

>In all working example of @longdesc today (whether via a screen reader or
3rd-party browser extension) they all operate by querying the DOM, which
IMHO is >not actually "broken or poorly thought out" - in fact it simply
underscores that any HTML consuming tool *could* do something useful with
@longdesc, they >simply choose not to.

If tools are querying the DOM they can just access the longdesc directly,
IE'simplementation does not help with that in any way, all it does i
pollute the accessible description.

If IE wanted to fudge it they could pass the longdesc value to the acc
value property perhaps.

best regards
Steve

--