Re: Minutes from the ARIA Task Force Teleconference on 20 August

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:58:21 +0100
To: WAI XTech <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
>                                        Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference

[snip]

>    RS:

[snip]

>    browsers do not fix parsing errors in hidden content
>
>    SO, AT would have to both parseand repair the hidden content
>
>    This is way aoutside the scope of AT.

Wow. Just … wow. :(

Very disappointing to hear that PFWG is planning to make a Change
Proposal based on such misunderstandings.

I've explained twice that HTML WG is certainly not proposing that AT
should parse and repair HTML:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Aug/0200.html

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Aug/0261.html

Richard's eccentric claim that "browsers do not fix parsing errors in
hidden content" is demonstrably wrong.

Try this simple test case in a modern browser (I used Firefox, Safari, Chrome):

  <!doctype html>
  <title>Parse and repair of hidden content</title>
  <base href=http://example.com>
  document.querySelector("pre").textContent =
     document.querySelector("[hidden]").innerHTML +
     "\n" +
     document.querySelector("a").href
  </script>

Here's the test case in the DOM viewer:

  http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/?saved=1708

It renders:

  http://example.com/foo

This test case proves that browsers fix incorrectly nested tags,
resolve href URLs, and parse markup inside an element with @hidden set
into the host DOM, as is required by HTML5.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis