Re: Alternative to @aria-describedAT: <a role=img>

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:18:33 +0200
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, wai-xtech <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis, Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:22:14 +0100:

>    http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/complete#intro_ria_accessibility

  When I take what your presentation of what WAI-ARIA says about <a
role=img href=* > ...

> User agents, user agent addons, or external AT can perform ARIA
> "processing" directly on the DOM rather than through the mediation
> platform accessibility APIs. For such processing to be compliant with
> the spec, they must interpret the element in terms of its ARIA role
> ("img") not its native semantics ("a href"). Similarly, when exposing
> the element to platform accessibility APIs, user agents must interpret
> the element in terms of its ARIA role not its native semantics.

 together with what WAI-ARIA says about  <a role=presentation href=* >

> The spec means Safari's behavior is incorrect. Since the element *is*
> focusable, the presentation role should be dropped in favour of the
> element's native semantics, and it should be exposed to the
> accessibility tree (used by VoiceOver) as a link.

 ... my conclusion, is that, per the ARIA spec, then a <a role=img
href=* > is distinctly different from <a role=presentation href=* >.
Which strengthens me in the view that HTML5 ought to permit <a role=img
href=* >.

Agreed?

Btw, it seems seems to me that not only VoiceOver+Safari but also Jaws
13 have incorrect behavior as it does not expose the link-i-ness of <a
role=img>.
--
Leif Halvard Silli