Re: [css3-speech] LC comment: why no play-during or equivalent?

Hi Greg,

[Q1]
I think that the original intent was to provide some kind of CSS alternative for the "bgsound" element. The very first draft of the CSS Speech Module did not carry over the 'play-during' property from the informative CSS2.1 Aural Stylesheet Appendix. I personally believe that this was a good design decision, as it contributes to narrowing the focus of CSS-Speech to mostly speech synthesis, instead of creating a general-purpose mechanism to "inject" arbitrary audio content in markup documents (especially audio content that plays in parallel to potentially several other aural streams).

The audio "cue" feature of CSS-Speech is really limited to short auditory signals surrounding a TTS prompt. Of course, the specification cannot (and should not) enforce rules about the length of pre-recorded audio cues, but the mutually-exclusive nature of the sequential aural output indirectly guarantees that authors will not abuse the "cue" feature, as an alternative to (for example) HTML5's audio element.

For the sake of clarity, I should point-out that SSML1.1 actually provides a rich 'audio' element (resembling the equivalent SMIL element) with fallback TTS content, but this feature does not correspond to the CSS2.1 (informative) 'play-during' property, as it takes part in a *sequence* of aural prompts (i.e. no parallel/mixed audio output).

[Q2]
The 'content' CSS property can indeed be used to generate or replace content within the markup document, and the CSS3-Speech specification informatively acknowledges that authors may use this general-purpose feature to "inject" an audio clip within a text-only element. As you pointed-out, this is not suitable for "parallel" playback of an ambient background sound, which I believe is a sane design decision that enables CSS3-Speech to remain simple and implementable. The 'cue-before' and 'cue-before' properties already provide a mechanism to announce particular markup structures, so I don't see "background audio" as a strict imperative right now.

[Q3][Q4]
CSS selectors with interactivity-related dynamic pseudo-classes can be used to refer to an activated/focused form element.
The requirement to convey the state of form elements (e.g. checked box) to the styling mechanism is not fulfilled by Level3 Selectors, but Level4 (currently under development as well) introduces "state" pseudo-classes. At any rate, this is not within the scope of the Speech Module.

As for your last point about default user-agent stylesheets, and the possibility for users to configure preferred settings: CSS defines the underlying mechanism, not the user-interface. Once again, perhaps a WCAG-led activity could define author and user-agent guidelines?

Please let us know whether this response is satisfactory.
Kind regards, Daniel