Re: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:54:34 -0500
To: david bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>
CC: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, Larry Weiss <lweiss@microsoft.com>, Matthew King <mattking@us.ibm.com>, Stefan Schnabel <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, "Surkov, Alexander" <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Hi David,

Regarding your explanation of why aria-activedescendant exitss, there is
one thing that I need further explanation for.

At a certain point, some ancestor element has DOM focus, (=
document.activeElement), but one of its children appears visually
focussed.  You wrote (my emphasis):

> For screen readers the browser accessibility engine can use the
> semantics of aria-activedescedant to indicate what appears focused
> (*by firing a focus event for the active child*).

What kind of focus event is fired for the active child?  Is it a DOM
focus event?  A desktop focus event?  An a11y API focus event?  Or some
combination of the above?

Also, what is firing this event?  Is it the browser?

'I had some dreams, they were clowns in my coffee. Clowns in my coffee.'
                      - C. Simon (misheard lyric) -