Re: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:54:34 -0500
To: david bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>
CC: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, Larry Weiss <lweiss@microsoft.com>, Matthew King <mattking@us.ibm.com>, Stefan Schnabel <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, "Surkov, Alexander" <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Hi David,

Regarding your explanation of why aria-activedescendant exitss, there is
one thing that I need further explanation for.

At a certain point, some ancestor element has DOM focus, (=
document.activeElement), but one of its children appears visually
focussed.  You wrote (my emphasis):

> For screen readers the browser accessibility engine can use the
> semantics of aria-activedescedant to indicate what appears focused
> (*by firing a focus event for the active child*).

What kind of focus event is fired for the active child?  Is it a DOM
focus event?  A desktop focus event?  An a11y API focus event?  Or some
combination of the above?

Also, what is firing this event?  Is it the browser?

Thanks.

--
;;;;joseph

'I had some dreams, they were clowns in my coffee. Clowns in my coffee.'
                      - C. Simon (misheard lyric) -