Re: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

Hey David,

One point of clarification:

You wrote:
> DOM focus: the element the browser tells web developers has focus.

By "DOM focus", do you mean document.activeElement?  (for example:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/document.activeElement).  If so, in
the aria-activedescendant scenario that you describe, the active
descendant is *not* the document.activeElement.  Or is it in some sense
-- what element if firing the focus events?

> Desktop focus: I'm not 100% sure this is well defined, but I'll call
> it the object that most recently had a related desktop focus event.

What's the relationship between the Desktop focus, the
document.activeElement and the aria-activedescendant?  My guess:
Desktop focus == document.activeElement, and not the
aria-activedescendant.   But, that's just a guess.

> Active child/element: the element that aria-activedescendant points to.

Right.

> Does this help or am I addressing the wrong concerns?

It helps explain things.  But, I don't think it helps Matt in the sense
that comboboxes, which use aria-activedescendant, are not working very well.

> Note: it sounds like we'll be discussing aria-activdescendant
> interoperability on the next AAPI call. Yay. :)

Nice Bronx cheer yah got there...

--
;;;;joseph

'I had some dreams, they were clowns in my coffee. Clowns in my coffee.'
                      - C. Simon (misheard lyric) -