Re: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

Joseph,

Yes, I have looked at every example I can find, including the APG
examples.

Dojo may have been screen reader tested. But, generally, screen reader
testing is a very imprecise practice. I rarely see documentation of
expected screen reader behavior for a tester to reference. When I do, it
is not often correct. And, "correct" is sometimes a topic of intense
discussion. The consistently reliable way to get good screen reader test
results is to have it performed by a large group of blind and experienced
screen reader users who have a nack for testing. Outside of that, the
quality of results varies dramatically. So, I am pleasantly surprised when
I hear the claim that screen reader testing was performed and then my
experience is close to what I would expect. I do not get that pleasure
often.

Matt King
IBM I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com

Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
11/10/2011 08:05 AM

wai-xtech@w3.org
cc
Becky Gibson <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Subject
Re: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes,  November
8, 2011

Hi Matt,

You wrote:
> I am intensely interested in the combo box topic.
>
> I have not found a single usable ARIA implementation. ...
>
> I have been trying our example implementations with both JAWS and NVDA.

By "our example implementations", do you mean the example links in the
APG, including the dojo links[1]?

> Among the worse are those that have a drop down but the focus stays in
the
> edit ... It's really confusing. If the user is scrolling through a list,
> the focus needs to be in the list. So, I disagree with the statements in
> the minutes regarding keeping DOM focus in the edit if the user is
> scrolling through a list.

This is a case where the combobox uses aria-activedescendant instead of
roving focus.  Combobox is one of the few places where dojo uses
aria-activedescendant.  By keeping focus on the edit field, as the user
types, the characters are added to that edit field, and the dropdown
list is updated to show just the items that match.  Functionally
speaking, it is very similar to FireFox's location input (the "awesome
bar").

But, I had thought dojo had tested their ARIA markup with ATs, and that
it worked.  Cc'ing Becky...

[1] The dojo  combobox example links in the APG:
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/form/_autoComplete.html?testWidget=dijit.form.ComboBox

http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/form/_autoComplete.html?testWidget=dijit.form.FilteringSelect

--
;;;;joseph

'I had some dreams, they were clowns in my coffee. Clowns in my coffee.'
                      - C. Simon (misheard lyric) -