Re: @longdesc implemented as ARIA construct

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:54:38 -0700
Cc: 'W3C WAI-XTECH' <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>

Here is fine, but if you'd like to make a formal suggestion, email public-pfwg-comments@w3.org

> I happen to be of the belief it would strengthen the case for @longdesc
> in HTML5 if it was demonstrated how one can do the same thing via ARIA.
> Perhaps, out of this debate, we could even agree to change ARIA to make
> it better suited for such a thing?

I can't speak for all members of the PFWG, but I personally agree that @longdesc should be removed from HTML5, and I know that several other PF member representatives feel the same way. I don't feel strongly enough about it to start another holy war on this list, but suffice it to say that I also don't feel that we should help strengthen the case for @longdesc. Save your strength and fight a more important battle.

James