Re: Authentication (was RE: CAPTCHA alternatives/pitfalls)

aloha!

a bit of background to the discussion that spawned JohnF's recent
cross-post to wai-xtech and public-html-a11y on CAPTCHA alternatives
and authentification strategies...

this discussion grew out of a bug filed against HTML5 concerning a code
sample of a CAPTCHA challange; the first thread "keep CAPTCHA out of
HTML5" begins at:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Mar/thread.html#msg361

out of this discussion (the entirety of which is linked to from the
PFWG's CAPCTHA Update wiki page:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/CAPTCHA_v2)

there is a secondary thread which led JohnF to suggest that the
conversation be moved to wai-xtech@w3.org

"CAPTHA alternatives/pitfalls"
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Mar/thread.html#msg417

thanks john for not only continuing this important discussion, but for
moving it to a more appropriate forum...   gregory.
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
            Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net