RE: HTML5 Suggested UIs for making title attribute content accessible

From: Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:06:59 -0400
To: "'Victor Tsaran'" <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>, "'James Craig'" <jcraig@apple.com>, "'Steven Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'HTML Accessibility Task Force'" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
>I think the TITLE attribute, as useful as it is, wasn't treated
consistently by AT -- which is a shame.

The question that pops up in my mind all the time is that when browser and
AT makers  have not got around to rendering  valid attributes  like title
for so many years, what will induce them to  support newer attributes  /
techniques consistently? (A few other attributes that are inconsistently
supported are scope, summary, longdesc).

Now ARIA has the aria-label  attribute which I think really duplicates the
title attribute and that too is not supported as yet. Also not sure why
title needs to be duplicated.

Sailesh Panchang
Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)