W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > wai-xtech@w3.org > September 2009

HTML Caucus Draft Minutes; 25 September

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:11:01 -0400
To: WAI XTech <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20090925161101.GI2757@sonata.rednote.net>
Minutes from today's HTML Caucus call provided as text below and
available as html at:
http://www.w3.org/2009/09/25-pf-minutes.html

   W3C

                                                           - DRAFT -

                                                     PF/HTML_Caucus telecon
                                                          25 Sep 2009

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Cynthia_Shelly, Janina, Joshue, Rich, Cooper

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina_Sajka

   Scribe
          MichaelC, janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Update from HTML meeting
         2. Spec Reveiw
         3. Recent Developments: Joint TF Status
         4. Accessible Media Gathering http://www.w3.org/2009/09/acc-media-html-gathering.html
         5. HTML 5 spec documents review http://www.w3.org/2009/08/html5-spec-review.html
         6. WCAG HTML5 Comments
     * Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



   <Stevef> hi all, i will not be able to attend todays meet - regrets , have a client meeting. will be back on board next
   week

   calling in now..

   <janina> agenda: this

   <scribe> ScribeNick: Joshue

Update from HTML meeting

   <Laura> Yesterday's HTML WG Minutes:

   <Laura> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/24-html-wg-minutes.html

   JS: Are we on hold?

   MC: Kind of

   CS; They will give it around a week.

   <Laura> Task force discussion from yesterday's HTML WG telco:

   <Laura> http://www.w3.org/2009/09/24-html-wg-minutes.html#item08

   <Laura> Maciej took an action to "Issue a Call for consensus email to the WG to approve the accessibility Task Force
   and testing Task Force.

   <Laura> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/149

   <Laura> Paul Cotton took an action to "Recruit a Task Force facilitator for the HTML WG"

   <Laura> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/148

   MC: There is an action on Janina to nominate facilitators (On Paul Cotton)

   CS: I want to be the PF designee

   RS: The mapping stuff should move into one thing.

   MC: The TF when more stable we can chat with members and see what they think.

   JS: They seem have forgotten that it is a joint TF

   RS: They were looking for facilitators, I am happy to do it for either side.

   MC: We need you Rich on ARIA.

   CS: Who would be good on the PF side?

   MC: Aria also (sic)

   CS: Steve F would be good

   JS: For chairing?

   CS: Yes

   JS: The work of a chair is a little different, prioritising and driving it etc, not just technical details.

   CS: The HTML people have seen Steve be technical, so thats good.

   JS: Most of our people are engaged on critical stuff.

   RS: I am worried about the spec being rushed in Oct. Its not ready.

   <Stevef> I think rich would be a good chair

   +1 to Rich also

   <Stevef> CS: thanks for the vote of confidence, I will do it if no one else wants to

Spec Reveiw

   zaki, unmute me

   <MichaelC> http://www.w3.org/2009/08/html5-spec-review

   :-)

   Josh to look at 4.4. 4.7

   CS: To look at 4.10 Forms

   Josh to look at user interaction also

   <MichaelC> close item 1

Recent Developments: Joint TF Status

   <MichaelC> for header

Accessible Media Gathering http://www.w3.org/2009/09/acc-media-html-gathering.html

   <MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC

   This workshop is on, day before TPAC

   trying to open list of who can attend

   currently a small invite list, and expect participants to make presentations

   think we need at least an API for players

   <Joshue> That sounds very interesting!

   <Laura> Silvia Pfeiffer's blog has some related info:

   <Laura> http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/09/22/w3c-workshopbarcamp-on-html5-video-accessibility/

   rs: <missed>

   cs: Sean Hayes can't attend, but Philippe Le Hegaret representing Timed Text

   <Joshue> I don't know if I can make it either.. but I may do. Jury currently out.

   the Timed Text approach might fly

   js: would like to have media accessibility move into the HTML Accessibility Task Force

HTML 5 spec documents review http://www.w3.org/2009/08/html5-spec-review.html

   Assignments updated to http://www.w3.org/2009/08/html5-spec-review

WCAG HTML5 Comments

   There were questions raised by Loretta

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/wai-liaison/2009Aug/0006.html

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/wai-liaison/2009Aug/0007.html

   <janina> scribe: janina

   michael: summary and longdesc -- already in hand ...

   <MichaelC> HTML 4 on abbr attribute: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#adef-abbr

   michael: abbr in tables; different from abbr elsewhere

   <MichaelC> HTML 5 on abbr attribute: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/obsolete.html#attr-tdth-abbr

   cynthia: unfortunate it has the same name--is there something that replaces it? else should not be obsolete

   michael: doesn't appear anything replaces it

   cynthia: useful in small number of cases
   ... should carry html4 text forward
   ... we should see how much this is used, e.g. by ssa

   michael: always thought it should be the other way--a way to indicate the longer version
   ... text needs cleanup regardless

   cynthia: anything in aria? label?

   michael: for solving html problems, there should be an html solution -- aria is a gap tech

   cynthia: but mightn't it be like how we're using describedby?

   michael: use

   cynthia: so is thee a use case for this?
   ... q will be how this is different from summary?
   ... answer is summary is more deployed

   michael: lg's next item was axis -- suggest use scope instead
   ... anyone know how it is used?

   rich: seems we don't know it exists

   consensus seems to be let it go since we don't know what it is

   lg's next 12.3 -- reqs for implementation

   lg asks conforming or not? if not, why the detail explanation of behaviors?

   rich: when iframes are processed for keybd nav, tab order should be doc order from outside to the first item in iframe,
   ... to last in iframe; then outside the iframe to the next logical element outside the iframe

   michael: perhaps we need a separate section in the spec about tab order
   ... use of tab=-1

   michael use cases

   rich: yes, we should do this

   lg: asks for marque to default to off

   michael: there are attribs we need to review

   rich: wonder if the changes could affect someone with epilepsy
   ... may need several attribs to be off by default

Summary of Action Items

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Scribes: Joshue, MichaelC, janina
Present: Cynthia_Shelly Janina Joshue Rich Cooper

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;
		sip:janina@CapitalAccessibility.Com
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC	http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada
Learn more at http://ScreenlessPhone.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina@a11y.org	
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org

Chair, Protocols & Formats
Web Accessibility Initiative	http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Received on Friday, 25 September 2009 16:11:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 27 April 2012 13:16:06 GMT