Re: aria vs native alternatives [was: Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document]

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:32:06 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
hi henri,

>This seems to contradict the stated principles of ARIA.

how so? in the ARIA spec intro it states:

"WAI-ARIA introduces navigation landmarks through its taxonomy and the
XHTMLrole landmarks, which helps persons with dexterity and vision
impairments by
providing for improved keyboard navigation. WAI-ARIA may also be used to
assist persons with cognitive learning disabilities. The additional
semantics allow authors to restructure and substitute alternative content as
needed."
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#intro

regards
Stevef