Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

Hi Maciej,

>There are some elements with enough built-in behavior that it doesn't make
sense to change their role with ARIA. For example, it doesn't really make
sense >to say a <textarea> is a checkbox.

While i agree with this in principle, if a developer has gone to the trouble
of adding a role and associated aria properties/states to a text area, it
would make sense that he/she has added these on top of scripting and styling
to make the textarea into a checkbox for other users. Not that doing any of
this would be the sane approach, but making conformance in this case hinge
on the addition of ARIA does not seem the sane approach either. But think
this example is very unlikely to occur. If it does, I would suggest checking
that the appropriate aria properties are present for the role in question,
if not it would be more likley to indicate a coding error, and provide a
conformance checker warning asking the developer if they have really, really
scripted this element to act like a checkbox. If so it this that should be
flagged as a conformance error not the addition of the ARIA attributes.

> Is it worthwhile for the spec to tell people doing such things that they
are wrong?

I have no issue with telling people they should not script elements such as
the a element to act like a button, but this advice should not prohibit the
addition of ARIA to improve the accessibility and the additon of ARIA if the
developer ignores such conformance criteria, and should not be the point at
which conformance errors are flagged in validators.

regards
Stevef

--
with regards