Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:37:57 +0100
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. On 09-11-10 19.46:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
>> We all can pretty much agree that making an <h1> a 'button' doesn't really
>> make a whole lot of semantic sense,

[...]

> Since I brought up that example, that sort of markup actually isn't a
> bad idea in my opinion.  Now it would probably be better done with
> <details>, but when that didn't exist a <div><h1/><p/></div> was a
> good approximation of the semantics.  In some cases it still might be
> better semantically, for example if you were implementing a tab-based
> interface in js.
>
> *Is* it most helpful to convey to ATs that the heading is a button in
> that example?  Are there better ways to do it?  You really
> can't/shouldn't use an actual <button> in the example, because it's
> *not* semantically a button, it's a heading.  It's only when you bring
> behavior into the mix that acquires a slightly different character.

I would think that the reason that you shouldn't use a button is
because it isn't a  button because it isn't inside a form.

Well, it is still a button - even outside a <form>, but a button
outside the form element - what use is that? Why doesn't HTML 5
say that it is invalid, like HTML 4 does?
--
leif halvard silli