Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 23:13:19 -0800
Cc: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, public-html-request@w3.org, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On Nov 7, 2009, at 9:58 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'll note that what Bespin did is not valid HTML 5. The spec says:
>>
>> "Authors should not use the canvas  element in a document when a more
>> suitable element is available"
>>
>> There is definitely more appropriate elements in this case, thus
>> Bespin is not valid HTML 5.
>
> Hmm.. actually given that the spec says "should not" rather than "must
> not" I guess it's still conforming according to the spec.

Bespin is in fact not valid HTML5, but for another reason. HTML5 says:
"When authors use the canvas element, they must also provide content
that, when presented to the user, conveys essentially the same
function or purpose as the bitmap canvas." Thus, Bespin is
nonconforming because it fails to provide fallback that conveys the
same function.

Regards,
Maciej