Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

Hi Leif,

On Mar 1, 2009, at 2:16 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Robert J Burns 2009-03-01 20.43:
>>>
>>> Yes, I guess so. I saw text bit in version b which spoke about
>>> other users than speech and braille users, and I was not certain I
>>> agreed to that.
>> Could you be more specific about which users you feel should not be
>> handled by summary. I could try to guess, but I might guess
>> incorrectly.
>
> This is back to the issue of who @summary is for. I was compelled by
> Joshue's argument that it is better to have a specific @summary
> attribute than a to watered following the logic that it "perhaps"
> can be useful to other groups. In his own write [1]:
>
> 	"... better for @summary to properly serve the
> needs of non-sighted users than to  provide a /sort of/ solution for
> other user groups. Also its worth saying that I would loath to see
> @summary (or any other useful elements/attributes) be removed and
> replaced because it /doesn't/ sort of, 'do' something for other user
> groups."
>
> My thinking is that if one wants to add info for other users that
> are challenged in their reading, one could use caption@title and
> make it visible in <caption> via CSS. Eventually one can use
> table@title.

I understood Joshue's comment to be about general users or users who
did not need any extra information to consume the table.

However, could you discuss specifically which users targeted by
version B that are not targeted by version A that led you to not
support version B. I'm not trying to confront you on this, I simply
want to make not of the specific objection on the wiki page. Two
differences I see between version A and version B targeted users are
those with cognitive disabilities and users of non-visual UAs (who may
not necessarily have visual disabilities). So though I had originally
assumed you meant those with cognitive disabilities, I have to admit
I'm not sure which group of users led you to not support version B.

Take care,
Rob