Re: Draft text for summary attribute definition

Hi Leif,

Some are arguing with you that your proposal doesn't make sense. I
cannot imagine what they would be thinking in that respect. If we were
designing HTML from scratch I could easily see attaching the 'summary'
attribute to the 'caption' element.

However, I think given that we already have legacy content and legacy
UAs that support a 'summary' attribute on the 'table' element instead
of the 'caption' element, it is more important to discuss what compels
us to make a change now. That's the only part I'm having trouble
understanding. Indeed there are similarities and differences between
captions and summaries and the common confusion by authors between
them needs to be addressed. However, I don't yet see how moving the
summary from the table to the caption substantially addresses the
confusions. Indeed I'm concerned it might introduce other confusion.

Take care,
Rob