Re: Request for advice on <canvas> accessibility

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 17:32:47 -0700
Cc: Catherine Roy <ecrire@catherine-roy.net>, Debi Orton <oradnio@gmail.com>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>, John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, Philip TAYLOR <p.taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, Roger Johansson <roger@456bereastreet.com>, Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-xtech-request@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Thank you for this request, Ian.

There is noticeable divide in the accessibility community. On on side,
you have those screaming, "Feature X isn't accessible. Abolish it." On
the other side, some would rather have discussions such as, "Feature X
isn't accessible yet, but it provides obvious benefit to those using
it. Instead of stifling innovation with futile attempts to abolish a
useful new feature, let's figure out how to make it work for everyone."

One of the options on the table for WAI-ARIA 2.0 is to discuss new DOM
methods and other programatic interfaces in addition to the roles,
states, and properties that exist now. The discussion was tabled for
WAI-ARIA 1.0 in the interest of completing a 1.0 last call. Content
attributes are the lowest common denominators for any DOM-compliant
language (including HTML and SVG) so the PF Working Group decided to
revisit other programmatic methods in a later version.

I, admittedly, haven't thought about this problem in depth, but it
seems that canvas (or any DOM element for that matter) could be
special-cased to allow a programmatic representation of the data
displayed, along with an any relevant accessibility information and
interaction methods. I have no ideas for how to make this "automatic"
like you request, but I'm sure we can come to a reasonable solution
that would allow accessibility-conscious authors to make their canvas-
based applications accessible.

Cheers,
James Craig