Re: Request to Strengthen the HTML5 Accessibility Design Principle

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:

> > > ... is an example of what Laura describes as "selectively choosing
> > > those points in a subject which happen to favor a position, while
> > > ignoring the rest".
> >
> > What were the points that were ignored here?
>
> The fact that summary is non-conforming.

Is that relevant to issues of backwards-compatibility? I was under the
impression that it was not. I wasn't trying to ignore that or selectively
chose a point here.

> > > Another, more recent, example is "The browser vendors are the
> > > ultimate gatekeepers, of course".
> >
> > What points does this ignore? I don't understand.
>
> The fact that no behavior is being asked of the browser vendors.

If UAs do nothing with summary="", it won't have any effect on
accessibility. So unless I'm misundertanding something fundamental, this
is false.

> The fact that I did not comment on the remainder of the post you cited
> is an indication that I believe that it did further the dialog.

This is encouraging; however, it seems that Laura does not share your
view, so it would be helpful is Laura could explain why.

Cheers,