From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of John Foliot
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:15 PM
To: free-aria@googlegroups.com
Cc: 'HTMLWG WG'; 'W3C WAI-XTECH'
Subject: Re: Seeking feedback on HTML5 video accessibility experiment

(Silvia Pfeiffer) ginger wrote:

> I'm doing some work for Mozilla on finding the best way to include
> captions, subtitles, textual audio annotations, and other time-aligned
> text with the HTML5 video element. Right now, I have an experiment
> with external srt files that relate to an Ogg Theora video.
>
> You will find the details in my blog post. See the demo:
> http://www.annodex.net/~silvia/itext/ .
>
> Note that there is a frquentely called javascript callback that feeds
> the aria-live region with textual audio annotations that are then read
> by a screen reader if setup in that way.
>
> I would be keen to get feedback, suggestions for imporvement, or bug
> reports. I'm keen to take this forward as a discussion basis to the
> WHATWG for a standard in video a11y.

This is exciting and interesting news - Right On!

Silvia, I urge you to take that discussion to the HTML WG mailing list
[1]
(as well as the W3C WAI-xtech list [2]) at the same time as you approach
the WHAT WG, as a large number of accessibility folk do not monitor WHAT
WG and it would be a shame to miss out on their feedback.  I have taken
the liberty of forwarding this note to those lists today, but urge you
include those communities in your ongoing quest as well.

Cheers!

[1 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/ ]
[2 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/ ]