Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> hi maciej
>  a document that may be relevant is the charter [1] of the protocols and
> formats working group
>
> "The mission of the *Protocols and Formats Working Group* (PFWG
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/>) (Member Confidential PFWG
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/>) is to increase the support for
> accessibility in Web specifications. This mission flows from the W3C
> mission of promoting universal access and interoperability
> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Points/> across the Web. "
>
> "The PFWG's scope of work includes:
>
>     * Assuring the accessibility qualities of the technologies as
>       specified in W3C Specifications"
>

> So it is not like the other working groups you cite, as its main goal
> involves ensuring the accessibility of the technologies of other
> specifications.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly that the PF or anybody else should be demanding
> changes, at the same time the PF has a legitimate purview to review all
> specifications produced by the W3C and provide advice on the apsects of
> the specifications that affect accessibility.
>
> the PF can make rcommendations if those recommendations are not accepted
> by individuals in the working group such as yourself or the editor, but
> are accepted by other members such as myself, then further discussion is
> warranted, if this discussion does not result in consensus, then a vote
> on the issue can be requested.
>
> All normal and legitimate W3C working group process as far as i understand.
>
> If the PF is not satisfied with the outcome and consider it of
> sufficient importance then they can lodge a formal objection at last
> call as can other working groups or individuals. Though a better outcome
> would be if the 2 groups work together to resolve any outstanding issues
> before last call, which I think is what lauras document was seeking to
> formalise.
>
> Now whatever process is used, there are 2 outstanding accessibility
> related issues that I will consider lodging formal objections on.
> 1. canvas accessibility
> 2. the image section content related to alt.
>
> myself and others, both inside and outside the html and PF working
> groups are working to resolve these issues.

It is my hope that before we get to the formal objection stage that
there be a concrete and complete counter-proposal for people to
evaluate.  It is my belief that you are working on doing exactly that,
and should you do so, I will support you in any way that I can.

> regards
> stevef

- Sam Ruby