Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, William Loughborough wrote:

> The difference between this set of circumstances and the cited SVG/CSS
> and other similar "battles" is that [...] there has been a
> systematic/official discrimination against people with disabilities,
> including really severe stuff like incarceration/sterilization/
> euthanasia.

As far as I'm aware, the only times where the WAI's feedback has not been
taken and applied verbatim have been cases where there have been what
appear to me to be reasonable doubts that the WAI's feedback would in fact
be the most effective way of serving communities experiencing handicaps of
relevant natures.

For example, in the case of summary="", the arguments against summary=""
are in fact that providing the feature has demonstrably had minimal
beneficial impact on disabled users and that providing the feature may in
fact be continuing to effectively reduce the potential level to which
tables are actually made accessible.

Obviously not everybody agrees, but all sides _do_ have the best interests
of users of accessibility tools at heart -- it is merely over the
technical aspects of potential solutions that people disagree.

Your e-mail makes it sound like you think there are members of the working
group who are actively trying to harm accessibility of the Web. I find
such accusations utterly ludicrous and highly unhelpful, and totally at
odds with the actual discussions that have occured on this working group.

--
Ian Hickson               U+1047E
http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A