Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

Hi Ian,

>If there is anything I could do to make it easier for you to proceed along
>a more rapid course, please let me know. As you are aware, <canvas> is
>being more widely implemented now and so the quicker we can provide these
>APIs, the quicker the state of the Web will improve. Also, if I can
>encourage you to work with browser vendors in the design of the solution
>you design, that would definitely help shorten the time from after you
>send your proposal to when we can see your proposal deployed, since it
>would mean I wouldn't have to go and try to get their support after the
>fact (which is often harder).

>>If there is anything I could do to make it easier for you to proceed along
>a more rapid course, please let me know.

Of course we will work as fast as we can, but we within a particular
process, so you will have to bear with us.

As you are aware, <canvas> is
>being more widely implemented now and so the quicker we can provide these
>APIs, the quicker the state of the Web will improve.

It is unfortunate that this issue was not taken seriously when it was first
raised back in 2007, if it had then there may well be an implemented
solution.

>Also, if I can encourage you to work with browser vendors in the design of
the solution
 This is what we are doing and plan to do, if you have any people in
particular you think we should reach out to please provide their contact
details.

I have so far been in contact and have had interest in particiaption from
people from mozilla, microsoft, opera, and  apple.
and from companies such as adobe and IBM.

>since it
>would mean I wouldn't have to go and try to get their support after the
>fact (which is often harder).

canvas is already implemented in a number of browsers so it will be after
the fact in any case, so after the fact in one month or 12 does not appear
to make a practical difference to how hard it will be to get implemented.
also we will endeavour to work directly with browser vendors where we can so
that the burden is not upon you.

regards
stevef

with regards