Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

Hi Ian,

> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Joshue O Connor wrote:
>> It may be better to just simplify the example altogether by displaying
>> the characteristic on the far left column, and then follow with the
>> negative/positive columns.
>
> If we did that, the table would be trivial enough not to need a summary at
> all.

This table doesn't need one. It is not a complex data table. I was
referring to the <caption> and <figure> examples. They would be better
if the table was how I suggested, displaying the characteristic
(Mood/Grade) on the far left column, and then followed with the
corresponding negative/positive columns.

> If anyone has any suggestion of a table that is small enough to be usable
> as an example that is copied multiple times, but complicated enough that
> it actually needs explanatory text, please let me know, I'd love to change
> the example to something better.

You need two examples. The one that is there will suffice but could be
improved IMO and the example Gez provided is a perfect example of a
complex data table that needs @summary. [1]

> Unfortunately that is far too long to actually fit in the spec as an
> example that is repeated many times. I'd really like something 20 lines
> long, 25 at the most (written one element to a line, as now).

It only needs to be referred to once, as an example of a complex data
table that is made accessible by the use of @summary. The other more
simple table would suffice for the rest of the <caption>, <figure> and
<details> examples in the spec.

Cheers

Josh

[1] http://juicystudio.com/wcag/tables/complexdatatable.html