Re: marking up static IRC logs - Q or D?

On 28/1/09 23:40, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> static IRC logs should be marked with Q, since one is quoting what was
> said by an actual person in an actual forum on an actual date and at
> a specific tim; an IRC log is a record of people speaking in their own
> voices, so Q rather than D or DIALOGUE would be appropriate in the case
> of marking up a static log
>
> gregory.

Random aside - feel free to fwd etc if useful

In the logs for #swig and #foaf (which stretch back to ~2001 or so),
I've often wished we distinguished between entries from un-verified
participants, versus those where the comment was from a user who had
logged in to the 'nickserv' tool. On irc.freenode.net some but not all
usernames are protected. Others are first-come-first-served.

cheers,

Dan